Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wear Blue Tomorrow!

I'm putting on my blue collar tomorrow, January 13, to show my support for protecting our oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes. Won't you join me?

People around the U.S. know that our oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes are some of our most precious resources. You guys already know why we need the oceans. Without them wouldn't be here. The coasts are part of the oceans and protect the land from the harshness of the oceans, in addition to providing habitat for so many animals. The Great Lakes provide millions of people with drinking water, recreation, and so much more. Each of these habitats also provide jobs to many people.

The oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes are also very beautiful. They contains some of the most amazing animals on Earth. Mom could just sit and stare at the ocean for hours. She says that it calms her. She grew up on Lake Michigan and never takes for granted what it provides to not only her but to everyone that lives near it.

Healthy oceans, coasts, and communities represent our heritage and our future. How we take care of them also represent our heritage and future. Do the right thing and they are healthy. Do the wrong thing and everyone suffers. It was with this in mind that President Obama created an Ocean Policy Task Force last year to develop a first ever National Policy for our oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes. President Obama realized that we must preserve these resources and I applaud him for it.

So why wear blue tomorrow? The Ocean Policy Task Force's final report to the President is scheduled to be submitted near the end of January. The Wear Blue For Oceans campaign is encouraging the President to enact a strong national policy and to include the Clean Ocean Zone (COZ) legislation in the final report to reduce pollution, protect marine ecosystems. According to their website, a strong national policy:

•Enable agencies to better address water pollution problems;
•Help to facilitate sustainable offshore energy, such as properly sited offshore wind turbines;
•Design better and more cost effective coastal and wetland restoration programs;
•Protect and restore natural areas to ensure healthy habitat for ocean and coastal fish and wildlife.

My blue collar is the only blue thing I own but I know lots of you have blue Snuggies. Those are the perfect thing to wear to show your support! You can even send in a picture of yourself wearing blue so the whole world will know you support the oceans. Send your pictures to pics@wearblueforoceans.org (make sure to add a caption) or upload your photo here.

Thanks for wearing blue and for supporting a national ocean policy. Together we can and will make a difference.

6 comments:

Hank said...

Hi, Stubby!

Looks like mom needs to hit Petco and find a blue outfit for ME!

My mom could stare at the ocean for HOURS, too. It calms her - just like it does YOUR mom! She keeps saying she's going to take Hanky and me to Maine one of these days. She better hurry....I'm not getting any younger!

Licks -

Molly

Deborah said...

Lucky for us, we have blue collars! Thanks for sharing this!!

Stubby said...

Hi Molly! I'm so glad Hank lets you check out his blogs. It's so good to hear from you.

My mom needs to high tail her a** over there and get one for me too. Are we the only puggies without Snuggies?

Your mom and my mom should go on vacation together (with us of course). I'm not getting any younger either so I need to get to the ocean asap!

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hi Deborah! Yeah for the blue collars. I thought maybe a shopping spree was in order to buy Snuggies, but the blue collars will work.

Stubby xoxo

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Stubby
I support the oceans- yes I do!

And I wear blue too!
love
tweedles

Stubby said...

Hi Tweedles! You are one of the biggest supporters of the oceans -yeah! I know a lot of your little friends live there and we don't want anything bad happening to them.

Keep wearing your blue so that everypug will know you support the oceans.

Stubby xoxo