Thursday, July 3, 2008

Science Tattoos

I don't have any tattoos and neither does my mom, but she has been talking about getting one for over 20 years. She came upon Carl Zimmer's Science Tattoo Emporium website a few months ago and she is constantly on the site looking for ideas. People submit their science tattoos to the site with a little blurb about the tattoo - what it means and why they got it. There are some really cool ones on the site, but there are also a lot of math tattoos which mom hates. Math is a science, but mom HATES math. She said if she passes calculus she may get a little, bitty math tattoo as a reminder of the painful experience.

There are some animal tattoos on the site, but no pug tattoos. Even if you're not into tattoos, I think you should check out the site. The stories alone are worth a look and most of the artwork is excellent. Check out this cool praying mantis tattoo - a little big, but beautifully inked.

This orangutan makes me wonder how long they will last in the wild with the current state of the world. I also wonder what people at the beach think of these tattoos.

I have tried talking mom into getting a tattoo of me, but I think she is going to eventually get one of a sea turtle. Whatever. I hate being second banana to a reptile. Maybe my dad will get a tattoo of me.

Check out Carl Zimmer's Science Tattoo Emporium at http://carlzimmer.typepad.com/sciencetattoo/.

No comments: