Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

I just love the 4th of July! It's my favorite holiday and I plan on celebrating all day long. Our party starts around 2:00 pm and will go into the wee hours of the morning. I took extra naps yesterday so that I would be completely rested for today's festivities.

Dad is making some of my favorite foods for the party - burger, brats, and pulled pork. Yummy! He is also making veggie burgers for Mom and her vegetarian peeps. And don't forget about the delicious side dishes - couscous salad, black bean and corn salad, three bean pasta salad, and corn on the cob. A veritable feast fit for a pug!

My aunts are bringing the desserts and I can't wait to see what they bring. Oh, and I almost forgot about the appetizers. What party is complete with chips and salsa, and chips with sour cream and onion dip? When people start drinking food mysteriously ends up on the floor and you know what they say - food that hits the floor is for the pug. Yep. Since I will be the only pug at the party, all the floor food will be mine!

So as we celebrate this most special of holidays, let us not forget the true meaning of the day. Our independence is something we hold near and dear to our hearts. The triumphs and tragedies of many men and women who fought so hard for our freedom will never be forgotten. Do not take your freedom for granted for as we have seen around the world, it is ever fleeting.

To my many friends who are not Americans, we as Americans, welcome you with open arms like our forefathers did so long ago. America is a place for everyone - to live, to prosper, to become. We know that you celebrate your freedom alongside us on this our 233rd birthday and that together we are one people.

And as the Statue of Liberty opens her crown for all to ascend to for the first time since the events of September 11, let us not forget that she is the very essence, the very symbol of freedom. For what it means to be an American is so perfect in prose at her feet: "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of you teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

11 comments:

Puglette said...

happy 4th! your party sounds like it will be delicious and fun! i know it sounds funny, but i have fond memories of chiggers. well, not the actual bugs, just the word. when i was a child we would go on summer vacations and spent a lot of time in the car. my mom would wear her curlers and she would scratch her head a lot from the curlers pulling on her hair. my niece and i would aske her what she was scratching at and she would say chiggers. one trip we made little paper chiggers and stuck them in her curlers, giggling the whole time.
have a great day!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Stubby said...

Hi Puglette! It's so good to hear from you. I hope you had a great Independence Day. I am still recovering from the party - I had a blast.

I loved your chigger story! How funny it must have been to stick little paper chiggers in your mom's curlers. Oh, the joys of being young and having such wonderful memories.

Stubby xoxo

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Stubby
this is such a woondeful post!
Nice job!
Your party sounded like so much fun, I would have liked to come,
Thank you again for leaving your wonderful bubble story for me. I think about it all the time.
xoxoxo
tweedles

The Devil Dog said...

Happy 4th, Stubby. Mom thinks July 4th is awesome, but sh thinks Jan 20th is just as important. It is, as she says,the complete nonviolent transfer of power. Is that not cool or what?
All made possible by the 4th and some incredible men over 2oo years ago,

Roxy

Kelly said...

Hi Stubby! What a sweet post- made my momma cry a little! I love this country and the brave people who live in it and fight for it.

Stubby said...

Hi Tweedles! I am still recovering from the party - can you believe it? You have an open invitation to visit me anytime you are in the Chicagoland area. I would love to have you visit and see my little backyard friends.

I'm so glad you liked my bubble story. Isn't it funny how the bubbles visit us pugs? I'm hoping to get another visit soon and I can't wait to see where it takes me!

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hi Roxy! Your mom is so smart! Yes all the hard work everyone did all those years ago is still being felt today.

January 20th is indeed important and we celebrate on that day too. Don't you just love the U.S.A.?

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hey Pearly Poo - We had a special guest at our party. His name was Mark and he left for Afghanistan yesterday. He chose to come to our party on his last day before serving our country. How cool is that? Dad did a special toast to Mark and also bought a special cake for him. Mark is a true hero and we can't wait for his return in 15 months.

Stubby xoxo

Archie and Melissa said...

hi stubby!
oh happy 4th!
we are so glad you had a great weekend!
xoxoxo
m & e

Mia said...

Stubby, hope you had a great party and gots lots of dropped stuffs. Dropped stuffs are the best since we don't ahve to work for them. Mommy says your post was very sweet and heartwarming!! Happy Monday!!

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

What a nice post, Stubby! We missed your mom and your blog, too! Mom is going to post something tomorrow or the next day (she never knows how busy lunchtime will be at work - sometimes she works more than she rests) anyway she is going to post something about turtles!