Thursday, July 9, 2009

Have Unwanted CDs?

I just love this idea! I don't know if other places around the country are doing this, but I think it would be great to have something like this in every county.

DiscsForDogs is a program from the Erie County, NY SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). If you have unwanted CDs or DVDs just lying around your house collecting dust, put them to good use by sending them to DiscsForDogs. They will turn around and sell them, for just $1.00 each, with 100% of the money donated to their local SPCA. How cool is that?

DiscsForDogs used to have a brick-and-mortar retail store where they sold the CDs and DVDs in a special used and abused bin, but as of last November it closed. All donated goods are now sold at Frizb's CD Exchange in Kenmore, NY. The owner was kind enough to take over the program to ensure that dogs and cats get the care they need. How cool is he?

So how does it work? DiscsForDogs has made it so easy that you'll have no reason not to part with those old Wham! CDs. Just gather up your old CDs and DVDs that were either destined for the landfill or for never ending storage. I'm sure you can find some CDs that you were wondering why you even purchased to begin with. I know that Mom has some, but she won't tell me what they are or where they are. I think she's too ashamed to admit she has a Milli Vanilli CD somewhere in the basement. Please do not send more than 2 copies of any one title if you have multiples. When Mom and Dad first got together, they were amazed at how many duplicate CDs they had. Can you say get rid of the Tiffany CDs right now?

Once you have your CDs together (don't forget the Men At Work ones), rubberband them together in small stacks, put them in a box, and use some packing material to fill in the empty spaces in the box so things don't get damaged. Please refrain from using packing peanuts unless they are made from cornstarch. Newspaper is probably the most eco-friendly packing material since it can be recycled upon arriving at its destination. You print a shipping label on the DiscsForDogs website and then you are ready to take your box to the post office.

Ask the post office to ship the box via Media Mail. This is special shipping rate used for CDs and DVDs. Make sure you write your return address very clearly on the box or better yet, enclose a note inside the box with your return address. Why do they need it? Because they are going to reimburse you for the shipping costs! How cool are they? That's right. It isn't costing you a thing to send those old Debbie (now Debra) Gibson CDs to them.

Once they receive your box, they will send you a check in the amount of the actual shipping costs. If you don't want to be reimbursed for the shipping costs, they will send the money directly to the SPCA instead. If this is the option you prefer, write this on the note you placed in the box.

So get your Culture Club CDs ready for a new home. And while you're at it relax and don't forget to pack up the Frankie Goes to Hollywood CDs too. Someone in Erie County will surely enjoy them just like you did in the 80's. For more information, log on to http://www.discsfordogs.org/.

13 comments:

fat2fit said...

Hi Stubby,

The link doesn't work, it's actually (.org) rather than (.com). Great program, thanks for helping spread the word!

Salinger The Pug said...

VERY good info (as usual) my good Pug!!!

Tell your mom that we might have to clean out our CD cabinet, but there's no way in hell she's parting with Milli Vanilli!!! She's magically transported back to her college dorm with big hair when she hears that CD!

Good times! :-)

Love,
S-Dog

The Devil Dog said...

But Stubby, mom likes Men At Work and Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Relax) Maybe mom can find some she doesn't like, probably old DVD's. That is a great program.

Roxy

Mia said...

Way to go Stubby! This is a wnderful program!!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

How cool is this?
Can brand new unused ones be sent? What if you don't know whats on them? Moms workie place might have a bunch.
This is so nice of you to share!
love
tweedles

Stubby said...

Hi Bill - Thanks for stopping by. I guess I was so excited about the info my little paws messed up the address. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I've updated the link so that everyone can find it.

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Salinger - Mom had the biggest hair in the 80's. You guys have got to bring out the big hair pictures and have a retro 80's party! Good times indeed!

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hi Roxy! Your mom doesn't have to part with any CDs she doesn't want to part with. It's okay that she likes Men At Work and Frankie Goes To Hollywood because my mom still loves the Bee Gees!

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hi Lilo! I'm glad you liked my post. Are your parents digging through their CD collection looking for oldies but goodies to give away? Mom is having a hard time parting with some of hers but I told her they have to go!

Stubby xoxo

Stubby said...

Hi Tweedles! I'm sure they would accept brand new unopened ones. If your Mom's workie place has some to send I say the more the merrier!

Stubby xoxo

Kelly said...

What a cool program, Stubby! I have never heard of that! You always enlighten me!

Surely Momma can part with some of her old CD's... I will put her to work!

Kelly said...

PS Stubby, SOS! I am GROUNDED! Can you come to Oklahoma and help me get out?!?! Bring food and water!!!!

Stubby said...

Pearly Poo - What happened? What did you do to get grounded? It wasn't the CDs was it?

I'm leaving for Oklahoma right after I stop at Popeye's for some chicken. I also need to fill up all Mom's Sigg bottles with water because she would kill me if I bought bottled water. See you in a few hours!

Stubby xoxo