Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Last Legs Of My Road Trip

I knew we had to go through Oklahoma on the way home from Texas so I contacted my good friend Pearl and invited her to lunch. Pearl lives in Oklahoma City and I just knew she would be up for a midday snack. I was so happy when she accepted my invitation and told Mom to put the pedal to the metal because Pearly and I were getting hungry!

Pearl's pretty momma Kelly found a great restaurant with outdoor seating that was dog friendly. After being in so many pug friendly cities I figured all restaurants allowed dogs but this is not the case. Kelly told Mom that Oklahoma City is not as dog friendly as most cities but that they're slowing getting with the program. I didn't care where we had lunch as long as Pearl and I could get some food. Menus please!

Look at Pearl and her momma! Aren't they just the cutest things ever? I felt like I already knew Pearl since we've been blogging friends for so long. I know that Pearl has a reputation for acting a little how do I say this, not so ladylike, but she was a perfect little lady at our lunch.

Pearl was so excited to meet me that she never stopped moving. I couldn't really keep up with her so I just played it cool and sat there like the gentleman that I am. Mom ordered her usual boring food while Dad ordered me something really special.

Fried pickles! OMD! These things were delicious. I couldn't get enough of them and wanted to get an order to go. Apparently everything is fried down in Oklahoma and that's right up my alley. Yippee!

Nom, nom, nom!

Mom took so many pictures of Pearl and her momma. Look how cute they are with the lighthouse in the background. That Pearl sure isn't camera shy! Work it Pearly!

Our lunch was over way too soon. Kelly had to get back to work and Pearl had to get back to her nap. I wish you could hear what Pearl was saying or should I say screaming to me in this picture - "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" I just love that Pearl!

One last picture before we said goodbye to Pearl, Kelly, and Oklahoma - sigh. I didn't want to leave but we were on a tight time schedule. Thanks again to Pearl and Kelly for a great lunch date. We were so glad we got to meet you guys and can't wait to get together again.

We couldn't drive all the way back home on Friday after lunching with Pearl so we stopped in Springfield, Missouri to get some rest. Dad got us a suite and boy was it sweet! I loved having rooms to cruise around in and a nice comfy bed to rest my tired body on. All that visiting wears a pug out!

I sure didn't want to get up and leave Missouri on Saturday morning but Mom convinced me to move my body. And I did - slowly.

Because my road trip was almost over. This would be my last morning in a hotel and I wanted to savour each and every moment. As I was laying there half asleep, I reflected on the past two weeks with awe. I met friends I felt I already knew, met many new friends, visited so many new places, and ate so many delicious foodables.

I got to do things I'd never dreamt I'd do like see the Golden Gate Bridge. I had such an awesome two weeks on the road that I didn't want it to end. Ever.

As our car flew up Interstate 55 in Illinois, I promised myself that I would do this again. I would take another road trip and visit more friends. Friends who live here and there, in warm places and cold, in houses and apartments. Oh yes my friends. I will do it again but the last leg of my road trip called and it was the one I looked forward to the most.

The one that would take me to that special place that Dorothy talked about. She recognized it and so did I. I knew I would be there soon because there's no place like home.

12 comments:

Minnie Moo said...

What an awesome trip you got to take!!! Hotels, yummy foods and pug friends!

Muah,
Minnie Moo

dw said...

Stubby, you are so right! Even if you travel to the bestest places and visit the bestest peeps (and puggies), it's always great to come back home! Thanks so much for sharing your visit with Pearl and, heck, your whole two week adventure! I'm sure you'll be dreaming about this trip for a long, long time (and wanting more of those wonderful foodables)! Welcome home, Stubby!

Kelly said...

Oh Stubby,
I had the bestest time at lunch with you and your family! Sorry I was so hyper and silly. Momma says I'm not normally like that... I guess I was just excited to meet you!

I am SO glad we got to meet up! And welcome back home, sweet boy. What a wonderful adventure you had!

xoxo
Pearly

Puglette said...

what an awesome road trip! you saw some beautiful places and even better saw some beautiful people and pugs. thank you so much for taking us on this wonderful trip with you.
hugs!
puglette
:o)

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

Pearlie Poo and Stubby together!!! What more could we ask for in a post. Stubby we hope you are resting up good after all the travels.

Hugs,
Sequoia and Tuni

Wilma said...

Wow Stubby,
What a magical trip you had. I would love nothing more that to launch a Tour de Wilma. Maybe someday.
That Pearly looks so cute. All crazy and happy to see you.And you look all kinds of blissed out by that fried pickle.What a face. Never had one of those.Not sure how I feel about them.

Salinger The Pug said...

We are SUCH the jealous Jellos right now (to quote Anakin!)!!! We can't WAIT to meet Pearly's momma!

Those pics are so PRETTY! Mom needs to check a map, because she didn't realize there was water and lighthouses like that in Okie-homa! She thought it was a lot of cows and corn just like Indiana!

We're so happy that you had such a fabulous trip!!!! I'll bet it felt SO good to sleep in your own bed when you got home!!!

Love,
S-Dog

Hank said...

Stubman, yer killin' me here.

Not only do ya hang out with hotties all over half the US, but FRIED PICKLES???

Bud, if we don't belong in OK nobuddy does!!!

Pee S: Gitcher rest. Ya got another trip comin' up here soon.

Archie and Melissa said...

oh stubby!

welcome home!

what a magical adventure you had!

thank you so much for making us a part of it!

we love you more than we can say!

xoxoxo
m & e

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Dear Stubby
As I sit her and paw these words to you, tears are trickling down and across my little black nose.
Your words were so beautiful the way that you shared your story.
Meeting Pearl, and her pretty mama, I am sure was one of your many dreams come true.
All the memories and miles that your little body traveled, so many clouds and stars that you saw, and then your journey home,,, all I can say is my heart is filled with all this joy that you shared with us, and then like your words said "There is no place like home"
i love u
tweedles

Bryan said...

I'm sure it was an enjoyable two weeks on the road, and it does sound so short in retrospect. But you'll surely be back on the road soon enough. Boy, reading through your adventures made me miss those days when I went on road trips with my friends.

-Bryan Tyler

World of Animals, Inc said...

What an awesome trip you all went on. So many wonderful memories from this fun time. We just love all the photos that you shared with us. Thanks for this wonderful post. Have a great day.
World of Animals