Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fall Diddley

If it's fall, it must be time for the Fall Diddley. Mom tells me that the Fall Diddley is the largest craft fair in the Chicagoland area. It is held at the Boone County Fairgrounds which is okay, not really in the Chicagoland area. Mom had to drive over 50 miles one way to get there. Mom has been going to this event for about 10 years, first as a volunteer in the bakery tent and now as a shopper.

Dad usually goes with mom to the Fall Diddley, but he is out of town, so mom went with my aunt Gayle and cousin Gillian. It was a beautiful day to walk through the tents (7) and buildings (3) shopping for fall decor, gifts, and unusual little things. Mom's first stop is always at the pumpkin head lady. That is not her real name, but this lady sells gourds that she makes into pumpkin figurines. As usual the pumpkin head lady's booth was everyones first stop, so 30 seconds after walking through the gates (mom and company were tenth in line), her booth was completely packed.

Mom did not push her way into the booth, but was simply pushed along with the crowd. She was up on her tiptoes, craning her neck, and bending down low to scan the booth for goodies. Unfortunately, the one thing that mom wanted was in short supply, and mom did not get to it in time.

Mom was not discouraged as she moved on to check out the rest of the booths. After buying something for my cousin Molly, mom decided to buy something for me. What? A gift for me? Okay, it's for me, but not really for me. It is a leash hanger, so it is not technically a gift for me, but for my leash. It's cute I guess. I just wish mom had bought me some food instead of a piece of metal.

No comments: